Let me introduce you to the Donut Peach aka the Saturn Peach. For entertainment purposes, I bought a real donut to show a side by side comparison. Yup! I can see where the name comes from.
Before we jump to the peaches named after a bakery delight, that particular donut in the picture is a Maple Cake with Peanut topping made by a local bakery called the "People's Donut" and it is vegan made with organic ingredients. Oh my goodness! This donut was fantastic and I could not tell the difference.
But back to our regular programming...the Donut Peach.
I was at my second home Whole Foods when I saw a sign that read "Donut Peaches." My first thought was that I read wrong and that it meant to say "Peach Donuts" but being in the Produce aisle, donuts seemed to be a stretch amongst the apples and asparagus. I look down and see a whole table of these flat peaches, which up close look like a donut without the hole.
Some 411 on the Donut Peach:
- They're flat round and about 2-1/2" in diameter and 1" tall.
- They are a white peach
- It's a tad sweeter than a yellow peach
- The skin is soft and almost no-fuzzy so if it's organic or you wash it really well, you can just bite right in.
- They're small flat size make them really cute looking. This is a perfect fruit to put in a kid's lunch box. The pit is small and could be swallowed, so you'd want to take it out beforehand.
- The Donut Peach would also be great to pack in a picnic, take to work as a snack, or take to an outdoor concert. The peach would go really well with a light white wine and a nutty cheese like Gouda.