According to the National Restaurant Association, one of the top 10 food trends for 2011 is Gluten-free/food allergy conscious.
I'm not celiac or gluten intolerant, but last summer I started going gluten-little and have cut my gluten consumption about 70%. I have some friends who are gluten intolerant or celiac and I was curious what would happen in my body if I cut down the gluten because two of the top foods I eat often is sugar and wheat-based foods like pasta, ciabatta rolls, and cookies.
When I cut down on the gluten, there were two things I noticed right away. First, I felt less bloated. Wheat tends to make me feel heavy. The second thing I noticed is that 5lbs fell off me and mostly in the gut area. The muffin top did shrink. But more importantly besides dropping a little weight, overall I felt better.
Between cutting back on sugar and gluten, I feel like I have more energy and those last 10lbs came off much easier combined with switching up my running routine where I've been training for speed versus distance. My goal is to be able to run a 5K in 27 minutes. I'm at 28 minutes now!
The fun part about going gluten-little is that I've gotten adventurous and tried new things I never new existed or never thought would taste good. There is a huge gluten-free community in the noshosphere so without adieu, including mouth-watering photos, here are 5 noshy things you can try that are gluten-free!
But first, here's one of Noshtopia's most popular recipes:
- Kid favorite: Baked Coconut Chicken Nuggets: Gluten-Free and Egg-Free. [Noshtopia]
- Apparently it can be done: Gluten-Free New York Style Sun-Dried Tomato Bagels. [Jenn Cuisine]
- Restaurant-like: Wanna-be PF Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps...this can also be made vegan by replacing chicken with tofu or a veggie. I'm wondering what sweet potato would taste like. [Wasabimon]
- Love the local twist: Caramelised Onion, Paneer and Basil Pierogis...uses rice flour. [Fork Spoon Knife]
- Beautiful combo: Fig, watercress and Hazelnut Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Basil Sauce...gluten and dairy free. [Golubka]
- Silky and rich: Beef Braised in Coconut Milk. [Fresh Tart]
What is one of your favorite gluten-free dishes?