Happy Cinco de Mayo! Nachos are always a must on a day filled with margaritas. Here's a vegan version of a layered nachos dip I enjoy. Most of the ingredients came from Trader Joe's, but you could easily find versions or alternatives in one of your local grocery stores
The dip is easy to make, and could also be used as a taco or burrito filling.
Layers from bottom to top:
- TJ's Vegan refried beans (I warm up the beans with a little olive oil in a pan)
- TJ's Vegan Black Beans sauteed with cremini mushrooms, red onions, and a pinch of garlic salt in olive oil for 3 minutes until onions and mushrooms are soft.
- Spanish rice. Here's an easy rice recipe from Simply Recipes
- TJ's Sweet Corn (Bought a bag of organic sweet corn, so I could have extra corn for other dishes)
- TJ's Peach Salsa
- Diced roma tomato
- Avocado mash (half an avocado mashed with fork) with red onion, garlic salt, and 1/2 tsp lemon juice
If you are feeling cheesy, try out Daiya's new Cheddar Wedge which melts better than any vegan cheese I've seen around AND it tastes good. Break up the wedge into chunks and microwave until gooey like traditional nacho cheese.
The tortilla chips are also TJ's own brand of Quinoa and Black Bean infused Tortilla Chips. I like these chips versus regular tortilla chips because the Quinoa and beans add some protein, and the chips are gluten-free.
Now, where's that margarita? :)