This is a guest post by Keas.com, an Employee Wellness Program that combines the best of social media and online games to create happier, healthier, more engaged employees.
Ever heard of the freshmen 15? It’s a term coined for those first year college students who gain 15 pounds due to over-indulging.
How about the Corporate 15?
Same idea, except now we’re talking about your office instead of your dorm room. It’s really quite simple. One of your co-workers brings in a dozen donuts, and you have just one. The boss brings in a box of chocolates, and you have just one. Suzy in HR brings in her famous Double Dip Chocolate Carmel Cookies and you have…just one.
You keep telling yourself, “I’ll just eat one,” and quickly the calories add up. Before you know it, you’re 15 pounds heavier than you ever were before.
You’re not the only one. Eating too many “just ones” can happen to the best of us. To help you along the road of a happier, healthier you, here are 5 ways to avoid over-indulging at work:
- Take a walk during your lunch break.
- Drink a glass of water before you dive into any meal.
- Ask if your co-workers are willing to bring in fruit or nuts instead of calorie-loaded sweets.
- At those holiday parties, reach for the veggie platter instead of the cheesy casserole.
- Bring in a healthy appetizer, like some yummy cherry tomatoes topped with pesto crumbs (recipe here), to share and inspire your co-workers.