What a fun way to get your veggies. Beautiful isn't it? Here is the fastest and easiest way I have made flatbread. It's so simple.
- One piece of Naan or Pita bread (Naan looks more like traditional flatbread versus Pita, but most Pita is made vegan. You can buy pre-made Naan too. Most in-store Naan is vegetarian containing ghee or here's a recipe for vegan Naan from Vegan Richa)
- 2 tbsps of pesto sauce (pre-made or there's a vegan recipe below)
- A choice of your favorite salad bar fixings. Ge creative!In the flatbread I made above, it contains artichokes, black olives, mushrooms, chopped cherry tomatoes and red onions.
- One of your favorite fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme or oregano
- Olive oil
Pre-heat the oven to 350. Layer the pesto sauce onto your Naan.
Put your salad bar toppings into a small bowl and massage them with olive oil. The oil coating will help the veggies soften nicely while baking.
Spread the olive oil coated salad bar toppings onto your Naan. Toss some of the fresh herb on top.
Bake flatbread in the oven on a baking sheet for 6-8 minutes depending on how crunchy you want your crust. Broil the top for 90 seconds just for a nice little top browning.
Creamy vegan pesto sauce
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts or macademia nuts
- 1/4 avocado
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
In a food processor, combine all the ingredients together and blend until you have a nice creamy pesto sauce.